Monday, November 1, 2010

Getting There

Probably it is not best to begin a posting such as this with a confession and yet in considering what I have decided to say in this reflection exercise it is necessary. The fact is, I came into this course (EDUC 6714 Reaching and Engaging All Learners through Technology), a skeptic and I was determined to remain on my duly labeled pedestal until knocked off. I fought bravely and with the proper amount of doubt that a skeptic should have. Circumstances and responsibility provided further burdens but in the end I succumbed and heard myself say, to myself, this may be possible.


When I looked at Universal Design for Learning and Differentiated Instruction was time and resources. I saw the Voice thread programs of my colleagues, understood the origins of and advantages of making learning accessible and equitable for all. I understood that we are none the same alike but some were preference similar and there are advantages for learning in the preference choice that we do best in. I just did not see how I was going to be able to manage time and resources to do more than I already do. My style of teaching involves a lot of conferencing and contracting. It took me awhile to realize that I have a foundation in my room that can support a differentiated instruction remodel. I appreciate so much the resources that this course provided through the differentiation station social network exercises. Looking for these resources on my own was possible of course but to share, follow to, and read the comments of colleagues in similar and different school situations was most helpful. As Grace Smith reminds us, one of the ways to utilize technology is to learn from tech savvy teachers. (Laureate Education, Inc 2009) Sharing with my colleagues in the Differentiation Station was a great encouragement.

I have already sent home a note to parents telling them that the students in my room will be taking online tests in helping me to assess their child’s learning style preferences in order to provide their child with a program that better responds to their needs. Once the learning preferences have been indicated, ( I do not yet consider myself an expert in definite diagnosis / identification) I have determined to adjust lesson plans accordingly. This will involve, more flexible use of time, space, groupings, methods, materials. Taking more time to teach process step by step to students, and evaluating with input of my students what worked and what didn’t. And finally, continual refinement will be an ongoing process.

The task at first seemed a bit daunting . I was encouraged to find that the process does not all have to be done all at once.

“It’s better just to do a few things well. Set goals for yourself, and stick with them, but make sure they are reasonable goals. Like students, teachers grow best when they are moderately challenged. Waiting until conditions are ideal or until you are sure of yourself yields lethargy, not growth. On the other hand, trying to do too many things before you have a chance to think them through leads to frustration and failure.” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 97).


I have already begun to think about next year and how to begin in better explaining the process to students and parents. I am wandering what lessons I will learn from the starting exercises and smaller branching out ventures we will try this year. Will the first Voice Thread exercises turn out well? How will students react to more choice? It’s exciting and worrisome at the same time. Tomlinson’s admonition will be my guide. . Remember that becoming an expert at differentiation is a career-long goal. One step at a time, you can get there. (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 107).

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009a). Program nineteen. Managing the Differentiated Classroom [Motion picture]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author

Tomlinson, C. (1999). Differentiated classroom: Responding to the needs of all learners. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development.
Retrieved from the Walden Library

No comments:

Post a Comment