Sunday, July 18, 2010

More Coals to the Fire

So I am reflecting on the Game Plan. It still seems like a good idea and I still am reflecting on it. I do not need convincing I do need more time however to play with some of the things I have been reading about. However, that being said, I have gleaned some pearls of wisdom that put brought conviction. I was most impressed by the following:
"Once clear goals have been set, the UDL framework suggests that teachers utilize instructional strategies that allow individual students greatest access to active learning---not just passive information". Some of the teaching methods that struck me as methods I need to utilize in refining and developing my own game plan were :

Providing students with choices in the media, tools and context in which the learning will take place. (I hinted at this last time-confirmed it in reading this week)

Demonstrating concepts and skills through the use of varied models of expert performance to allow students of different abilities to identify with a preferred mode and degree of mastery

Including activities with varied levels of difficulty to challenge students at all levels of ability with a variety of engaging materials

So, what are the results of this weeks study? More fine tuning. I did however come across another reminder that the steps I have chosen to act on are an important consideration on my role as a culturally responsive teacher. “As a culturally responsive teacher, it is important to employ a range of resource materials, including books, and other print materials, and identify high quality supplemental materials in a variety of formats including video, animations, and other software based tools.”
More coals to simmer the pot. I need to add more ingredients to make what is in the pot more palatable. Time to forage!

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like we are at similar stages in our GAME plan. Time is always a factor. Even in the middle of summer break. It sounds like following the UDL framework will help you reach your GAME plan. Do you think that you might need to focus on one method instead of three different methods? Trying to focus on three methods would be a little overwhelming for me. I have been doing some research on math tutorial programs for my GAME plan. It might be a resource that you would be interested in to have activities with varied levels of difficulty to challenge students at all levels of ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:

    Check out my blog. I found a couple of real treasures. But you are so correct. This is going to take a lot of foraging and practice. The reason I want you to check out my blog is a link to a great reference booklet created by a technology teacher. It will take a lot of the searching out of the mix and it will be a great reference. So enough talking, back to the net...

    ReplyDelete