Sunday, July 25, 2010

GAME PLANNING: Looking Elsewhere for Confirmation

Both NETS-T standard 1a and 2a call for more variety to spark the creativity of students. This week I studied assessment. This too calls for students to demonstrate ability, skill and creativity through a variety of means that technology can provide. Now, I have done some of that. The framework is in place, I feel. I conference, and have allowed student to show their understanding and interpretation through methods they choose. And I am happy for that. The truth is. I don’t know enough.

This week I went out my own class resources box. Just to confirm what I have been learning from the required and suggested texts, blogs and discussions from fellow classmates. And I was right, I don’t know enough. There are many things to investigate. Following the advice of Cennamo and Ertmer I will go with the ones I know, study others as I go

“Today, being literate, also means understanding wikis, blogs, nings, digital media, and other new and other emerging technologies”. (Jacobs, page 133, 2010) We have used video in my room, edited some video and will continue to do that but it has an old feel to it. We have taped student written plays about the topics we are studying used audacity for the first time this year. We’ve used Power Point to demonstrate everything from long division to the layers of the tropical rain forest. I hear my colleagues speaking of moodle, movie maker screen casting and I want to know and use more. “If students aren’t taught the language of sound and images, shouldn’t they be considered as illiterate as if they left college without being able to read and write?” (Jacobs, page 135, 2010). The truth is, I don’t want my students to be illiterate because their teacher may be, the truth is, and they probably already know what their teacher doesn’t.

“A sixth grade boy commented, When you write a report, people can’t see it, can’t understand it as well. Another Student said that making a documentary, ‘really is social studies.” A 7th grader said, “Making a movie, that’s like learning on steroids.” ,The act of creation through this medium is authentic, is real, and is meaningful to these students.” (Jacobs, page 126, 2010)

These are the attitudes I am hoping to observe in my classroom. This week the topic was assessment. As a teacher I must keep in mind the different learning styles of my students, the objectives of the lesson I plan to teach and make the time to find a technololy to support both. I appreciate this class, (EDUC 6713) for the opportunity to be directed to those sources.

Finally, I need to keep in mind that, “the teacher must maintain a balance of assessment methods and techniques. Using only traditional paper/pencil tests or just authentic activities does not provide a complete picture of a student understanding of technology.”

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Jacobs, H.H, (2010) Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World. (ASCD) Alexandria, VA

1 comment:

  1. Hi Albert,

    My only experience using technology as an assessment tool involved using a WIKI last March. Teams were asked to collaborate on a major lab project that they were working on. I inturn moderated the posts and reviewed the quality of information being submitted. It was not to informative. My 16, 17 and 18 year old were difficult to motivate and I spent more time dealing with excuses then reaping the benefits I had hoped for. I will not give up, but like you, there is much I have to learn.

    One problem that I see with using WIKIs or BLOGs is that they can be intimidating to students who have difficulty reading or writing. Without an alternative assessment, content understanding may be missed.

    John

    ReplyDelete