Sunday, August 15, 2010

Small Steps Going Forward

I have almost come to the end of the class, ( EDUC-6713I-3 Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas) but not the end of the road! The class has given me much to think about. I have come to the place in my planning where I ask, “Is there a place to use a tech tool here?” I have surmised that this was one purpose that this class, the GAME plan and all the interaction amongst colleagues was supposed to have accomplished, a tripped switch to the on position for technology inclusion. I must admit, that I was in the “wait and see” mode till the this last week and the heaviest presentation of digital storytelling. It was then that my brain said, “Yes”. This could work; this could reach many of my students in many ways at once. In my mult-igrade, multi-subject classroom this, if it works would be a fit. There are already, many things going on at once, we already collaborate in groups. I look forward to incorporating this digital storytelling across the curriculum.


My Game plan has changed. Rather, I realize at the moment that it is incomplete. It is limited in scope by my lack of confidence and inexperience. However I plan to use problem based learning, inquiry and digital storytelling , especially digital storytelling to increase my lack of experience and build that confidence. (That would be the E of the GAME plan – evaluate & extend, on a basic level ) I admit to being a novice. However I am inspired by the words of another teacher, Zac Chase .


“If you are connected to the world, if you are connected to so much knowledge, that when you have a question, you are no longer afraid to answer it, for fear of hearing, “I don’t know”, or “I have no way of finding out”. Our students know that they are connected to the world, and they know that if they truly want to find something out, they can find it. They can find the right resource, the right person,. They can go and get that. They can find the best part of that, the part that I think is the most important, is that it transitions out of technology into the real world, because they have become so used to being able to find information and kind of feeling entitled to knowing things, that when they need to talk to a person, when they need to find an actual resource, when they need to do an interview with someone, they are not frightened to ask questions, because they’ve done it in kind of a safe place, where they can go, they can find the information, they can produce information, and it’s got a certain degree of anonymity, even though their names are attached to it, so that when they have to be themselves in a physical space they’re so used to being able to ask a question and find the answer that if somebody doesn’t give them the answer, they know to be advocates for themselves and say, “I want to know more” and I think technology gives them that free playground to do those things.”



I have determined that I will give my students opportunity use technology in meeting requirements of assigned lessons. I will teach them to recognize goals of the assignment, allow them to participate in activities that they best feel can accomplish those goals, (differentiate), show them how to self check on their progress, (checklists, contracts, rubrics) evaluate and extend what they have learned through sharing, reflection and responding through guided critique. (My GAME plan for my students)

The standards I have decided to focus on as a teacher till gaining more experience are NETS-T 1a and 2a:

(1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity

Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments. Teachers:

a. Promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness.)

(2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:

a. Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.)

For students this year in my classroom the goals are:

NET-S

1. Creativity and Innovation

Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology. Students:

a. Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes.

b. Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.

c. Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.

d. Identify trends and forecast possibilities.


2. Communication and Collaboration

Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. Students:

a. Interact, collaborate, and publish with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and media.

b. Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats.

c. Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures.

d. Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.


Last Friday I began shopping for classroom materials for my classroom. I found myself looking at posters on collaboration processes, internet access rules and processes, & teacher made materials for suggestions of problem based learning within curriculum subjects. This was new. I the person responsible for making arrangements for professional growth at my school. As part our professional growth our first faculty & staff meeting will be a webinar on screen casting. Every third Thursday of the month the staff is invited to attend other technology webinars. Another teacher and I are going to be cooperating on a science theme the whole year entitled, “Under the Sea”. I will be using Digital Storytelling in my room with my students first, and then we will be teaching her students to how to use this tool. I will be setting up a blog in my room, using “blogmeister” as this is a first experience and my research leads me to think this is a safe place to begin as a first step. We will continue to use ICQ, and ooVoo as a means to communicate with classrooms and teachers in Southern California and Washington State. My School has signed up for Survey monkey and we will be using this information gathering tool in projects among our school parent community. These are first steps, small perhaps, uncertain perhaps but the Game Plan and the standards chosen will be the hands that keep us upright and headed forward on the new path.

References:

http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForStudents/2007Standards/NETS_for_Students_2007.html

http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_Teachers_2008.html

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008b). Program Twelve. Spotlight on Technology: Digital Storytelling, Part One [Motion picture]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Author

No comments:

Post a Comment